free web hosting | free website | Business Web Hosting | Free Website Submission | shopping cart | php hosting

Family Tree of Richard Bowden Martin:

Dunedin, New Zealand


Sheppard Family History and some related information on the Dickel family in New Zealand

This website traces the Martin family lineage in Dunedin, New Zealand, which began with Richard Bowden Martin arriving in Dunedin, New Zealand from England via Melbourne in 1858 with his wife Isabella Martin (nee Carrick).

Please note that this website will be deleted in two months from 11th July 2017 - please redirect to

ISABELLA Carrick was born in Glasgow Scotland in 1835. ISABELLA died on 31st Dec 1906 at Repton in Rugby St, Christchurch, at 71 years of age.

She married RICHARD BOWDEN Martin in Glasgow, 10 January 1854 at the age of 19. Married by Dr James Taylor, United Presbyterian minister Isabella Martin (nee Carrick) Richard is described as a "merchant from Manchester". The Paisley Herald and Renfrewshire Advertiser of 14th January 1854 describes the marriage thus "At George Square, Glasgow, on the 10th inst., by the Rev. Dr. Taylor, RB Martin Esq, Melbourne to Isabella, third daughter of the late Mr William Carrick".

ISABELLA became the mother of WILLIAM CARRICK Martin in 4th October 1857 in Christ Church, South Yarra, Victoria, Australia.

ISABELLA became the mother of PERCY CARRICK' Martin in Dunedin.

At 19 years of age ISABELLA became the mother of ALFRED Bowden Martin 1854.

At 23 years of age ISABELLA became the mother of RICHARD BOWDEN Martin on 5 March 1859 at Blythswood Place, Church Hill Dunedin..

At 27 years of age ISABELLA became the mother of EDITH GRACE Martin in Bellevue, Dunedin, 20 May 1862.

At 30 years of age ISABELLA became the mother of ALEXANDER CARRICK Martin in Dunedin 10 December 1865.

At 35 years of age ISABELLA became the mother of HENRY Ernest Martin in Dunedin, 1868.


At 34 years of age ISABELLA became the mother of HERBERT PERCY Martin in Dunedin, 20 June 1870.

At 39 years of age ISABELLA became the mother of Isabelle May in Dunedin in 1872.

At time of death her death certificate records 5 sons living aged 49. 47,42, 38 and 36, and 2 daughters aged 44 and 34

Obituary of Isabella Martin : Otago Daily Times

Mrs. Martin, the widow of the late Mr. R.B. Martin, a well-known resident of Dunedin in the early days, died on December 31st 1906 at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. Rose in Christchurch.  The cause of death was influenza, followed by pneumonia.  Mrs. Martin had many friends in Dunedin and Christchurch, to whom she had endeared herself by her kindly disposition. She will be greatly missed in both cities. Mrs. Martin, Isabella, widow of the late RB Martin, died aged 70 at Repton, Rugby Street, Christchurch.

from Obituaries Otago Daily Times



First Generation

RICHARD Martin was born in 1782 in Helston, Cornwall, United Kingdom, son of Richard Martin and his wife.

He married GRACE Caddy in Helston parish, Cornwall on 26 July1807 witnessed by Richard Martyn (sic) and Thomas Bawden (sic) . Grace was the daughter of James and Grace Caddy and was born in Helston on 2nd November 1783. They had twelve children, nine of whom were born in the parish of Kilmanagh, County Cork, Ireland. Their first child Grace was born at Wendron, Cornwall six months after their marriage.

Thomas was born in 1813

Jane Martin was born in Cornwall around 1814. Jane married Samuel Moyle ( born St Agnes 1810) in Dublin, Ireland in 1834. Samuel was a Cornish mining engineer working near CastleMacadam ,County Wicklow. Samuel and Jane likely travelled to South Australia in 1847. They had a daughter Amelia Moyle born in Wicklow,Ireland in 1838. Amelia married Martin Stephens (born in St Agnes Cornwall, 1835) in Creswick Victoria in 1857. Jane died 31st March 1884 in Richmond Melbourne. Samule Moyle was on the Otago goldfields in July 1863

Dan Cerchi notes that: Samuel Moyle, b. ca. 1810, St. Agnes, Cornwall, married Jane Martin b. ca. 1814, place unknown, dau. of Richard Martin & Grace Caddy, in Dublin, Ireland, ca. 1834. Both of Jane Martin’s parents had family connections to Helston, Cornwall. At the time of his marriage Samuel was a mining engineer working near Castle Macadam, County Wicklow [Family Tree of Richard Bowden Martin: Dunedin, New Zealand, accessed 14/1/2016]. The family, comprising Samuel and Jane Moyle & 5 children emigrated to South Australia arriving from London as cabin passengers per the 383 ton barque Rachel, R. H. Brown master. Samuel & Jane Moyle were each accompanied by a sister [South Australian Register (Adelaide, SA), 25/9/1847, p. 2]. In March 1850 Moyle was described as “Engineer, Kapunda” [South Australian Register (Adelaide, SA), 7/3/1850, p. 1; Adelaide Observer, 29/1/1853, p. 1]. Kapunda was the location of the first commercial copper mine in Australia, the miners being mostly from Cornwall. Moyle & his family subsequently joined the gold-rush to Victoria and were at Creswick before August 1854 [The Argus (Melbourne, Vic.), 22/8/1854, p. 4]. The couple had numerous (11?) children, the last, Eliza, being born at Creswick in 1855 (1855/01591). Their eldest son, Richard Martin Moyle, was in a partnership styled “Moyle and Reed”, store-keepers, at Creswick ca. April 1855 and, a decade later, was in another partnership styled as “Moyle and Crowell” (Crowle), cordial manufacturers. After Crowell was blinded in a catastrophic accident the partnership became insolvent and the assets sold [The Argus (Melbourne, Vic.), 26/4/1855, p. 6; The Ballarat Star (Vic.), 17/4/1865, p. 2; 27/5/1865, p. 4; The Argus (Melbourne, Vic.), 29/7/1865, p. 2]. A daughter, Amelia Moyle, b. 1838, Wicklow, Ireland, married Martin Stephens at Creswick in 1857 [1857/03286]. The 3rd daughter, Sarah Grace Moyle, b. Wicklow, Ireland, 6 June 1841, married William H. Cheney, b. Manchester, Connecticut, USA, at Creswick on 17 June 1858 [Pope, C.H.; The Cheney genealogy, Boston?, 1966; The Star (Ballarat, Vic.), 19/6/1858, p. 2; 1858/02334]. Samuel Moyle was actively involved in numerous mining ventures around Creswick [The Star (Ballarat, Vic.), 17/1/1857, p. 2; 6/6/1861, p. 4; 19/9/1865, p. 2]. He also visited the goldfields of New Zealand’s South Island [The Argus (Melbourne), 24/7/1863, p. 7]. In early 1870 Samuel Moyle, of Vaughan (ca. 40 km NE of Creswick) encountered financial difficulties for “Want of success in mining and losses by bad debts” [The Argus, 15/2/1870, p. 5]. Samuel Moyle appears to have left the Creswick district prior to the discovery of the rich Creswick/Spring Hill gold field in 1872. He subsequently lived for some time at Richmond. DEATHS. MOYLE.— On the 31st March, at her residence, 4 Derby-street, Richmond, Jane, the dearly beloved wife of Samuel Moyle, late of Creswick, and Kapunda, South Australia, and beloved mother of Samuel Moyle, Jolimont, aged 70 years. [The Argus, 9/4/1884, p. 1] DEATHS. MOYLE.—On the 30th April, at Queenscliff, Samuel Moyle, late of Creswick and Richmond, aged 75 years, the beloved father of S. Moyle, jun., of Dunedin. Samuel Moyle was buried at Melbourne General Cemetery [The Argus, 3/5/1886, pp. 1, 8].

Frances Marie (or Maria?), Jane's sister, traveled to South Australia with Jane Moyle (nee Martin) and her husband Samuel Moyle their 5 children, Richard Martin Moyle, Amelia Moyle, Sarah Grace Moyle, Jane Moyle and Francis Martin Moyle as well as Samuel's sister Eliza Croft Moyle on the vessel "Rachel" arriving in Port Adelaide 24th September 1847.

Elizabeth was born in 1815.

Lavinia married Simon Moyle

Richard Bowden Martin was born in Cornwall on the 18 January 1818.

Sarah was born in 1820

Thomas Bowden was born February 1822 - he 'worked as a carpenter in the Allihies mine when he was of an age to do so'. Thomas married Mary Anne Thorne in Middlesex, England in 1854.

William Henry was born in 1825. He married the daughter (Marianne) of mine engineer Thomas Chivers.

Frances Marie (Fanny) was born in the parish of Kilmanagh, County Cork, Ireland on August 26th 1826.
Frances married Joseph Reed son of John Reed (mine Captain) and Lebella' Reed, on March 13th 1855 in the North Adelaide Wesleyan Chapel in South Australia.'

James was born in1828.

RICHARD Martin (senior's) occupation was Engineer in Cornwall, England. Richard sailed from Portreath in Cornwall for County Cork Ireland in 1814. Before leaving however, Richard travelled to Redruth, to be trained in copper ore assaying (assessment) from "Mr Jenkins, assay master, Redruth". Richard Martin was employed by John Lavallin Puxley as Captain at Allihies Mining Company, formed in 1812 by Puxley. Allihies stands at the tip of the "beautiful moutainous Beara Peninsula in South-west Ireland.". In 1822 Captains John Reed and Richard Martin recommended that John Puxley buy a steam engine for the Dorneen Mine. The engine was built in Cornwall by Harvey and Co. of Hayle. Richard and Grace had a house and garden owned by the Mining Company in a cluster of houses close to the Mountain Mine-known as the "Cornish Village". The Mountain Mine closed in 1884.

Richard Bowden Martin born 1818, died on 23 March 1902 in Carlton Place, Christchurch, New Zealand at 84 years of age.

Link to Southern People-A Dictionary of Otago Southland Biography- reference to R.B. Martin

Richard Bowden Martin (the first)

Letter by RB Martin to the The Otago Witness page 5, 27th June 1861


I, like many others, have read your article in last week's issue of the Witness on the subject of the coming election of the Superintendent, and like many others also, I find in it many, very many, startling novelties which, according to the temperament of the reader, or his particular humour at the time, would be considered very absurd or very amusing.

Such at least, according to my idea, would be the effect upon many readers, of the article in question. it has been hinted to me, however, by a philosophical friend of mine, who has made human character his study, hat there may be a few individuals in the community, who, from an inveterate habit of taking for gospel all they hear or read, might believe what you have written. For their benefit therefore, allow me to make the following statements:

1st The idea of getting Mr McMaster to come forward as a candidate for the office of Superintendent did not originate in a squatting brain, and was not first preached by squatters. It originated with myself, and was warmly taken up by several others in town and country, who do not belong to the hateful fraternity.

2nd The 71 names that remain to Mr McMaster's requisition, after your 45 squatters are deducted, are the names of men who occasionally laboured under the hallucination that they have some interest in seeing the Province well governed, and that they can and should choose for themselves the means of securing what they deem so very desirable. Mr Jones’ contributions they are! How funny. How complimentary too.

3rd Although a squatter is likely to be made Superintendent, the Province is not likely to be ruined, at least so every one thinks but yourself. Really, I am afraid Sir, you will be the only one going about our streets clothed in sackcloth and howling your country's dirge.

4th. The infernal scheme you imputed to the squatters of hunting every freeholder from his freehold, along with his man servant and maid servant, his oxen and his ass, and taking possession for themselves and their sheep, has not yet been propounded or considered by these gentlemen; but if you have any evidence to bring forward in support of your assertion, you are bound to lay it before the country in order that a "Committee of Public Safety" be appointed at once.

And, lastly, if the article in last week's Witness had never been written, it had been better, not for our side, bless your editorial heart, but for yours. Indeed, to show you how we esteem it, at a meeting of Mr McMaster's supporters, a resolution, thanking you for your services, was on the point of being carried, when the same philosophical friend I have alluded to, quashed it by saying something about looking to the intention of the article and not its effect.

I am, Sir &c.

Biographical Sketches OF THE COLONISTS OF THE FIRST DECADE,: Otago Witness , Issue 2298, 17 March 1898, Page 27
Martin, Richard Bowden, born in Cornwall, came to Victoria 1854, and thence to Otago 1859: started as general merchant and importer in High-street, doing a large business during the gold era; entered the Government service as land auctioneer, and after the Abolition as land tax commissioner for Otago, and subsequently deputy property tax commissioner after some years started as auctioneer, etc., but retired six years ago through failing health; was one of the promoters of the Otago Daily Times; promoter and director of the Waterworks Company Chairman of Otago Dock Trust; for seven years one of the originators of Otago Bible Society, and also of the Benevolent Institution, being Vice-President, President, and connected with it for 20 years; a leading member of St. Paul's Vestry and Church for many years; Commissioner of exhibition of 1865, and one of its promoters assisted in starting Savings Bank, and one of the trustees; and for years a visiting justice of the gaol. Seven sons, three daughters.

RICHARD became the father of WILLIAM CARRICK Martin in Dunedin.

RB Martin became the father of PERCY CARRICK Martin in Dunedin.

At 36 years of age Richard became the father of ALFRED Bowden Martin 1854.  Alfred died in 1883

Richard emigrated in 1855 from London to Melbourne. There he entered into business. The Melbourne Post Office Directories 1854-1860 record that in:

RICHARD sailed to Dunedin from Melbourne in November 1858, arriving in Dunedin in 7 days on the S.S. Queen between the 1st and 6th November. RB Martin then returned to Melbourne and on the 30th December 1858 returned from Melbourne on the Queen with his wife and 2 children after a "boisterous passage".SS. Queen

At 41 years of age Richard became the father of RICHARD BOWDEN Martin (the second) in Dunedin on 5 March 1859.

Richard traveled to Melbourne on June 18th 1859 and returned to Dunedin on December 3rd 1859.

In November 1860 Alexander Carrick and RB Martin were two of nine Dunedin residents involved in the development and building of a Masonic Hall in Dunedin for 2000 pounds.

Auction at Port Chalmers- Victory Beach, 3 July 1861. Wreck of Victory on Victory Beach Otago Peninsula sold to RB Martin as she lay, with all machinery and 300 tons of coal onboard.  RB Martin paid 570 pounds. The Victory was successfully refloated but later her anchor chain broke and she regrounded and finally broke her back.

RB Martin purchased the wreck of the "Genevieve" at auction in 1862. He was the owner of the steamship "William Miskin", which was wrecked off the South Canterbury coast on 4th February 1868. He is noted as being a registered ship-owner in New Zealand from 1862 to 1872.

At 44 years of age RICHARD became the father of EDITH GRACE Martin in Bellevue, Dunedin, 20th May 1862.

RICHARD was listed as a vestryman of the St Paul's Cathedral (Anglican) in Dunedin, 3 June 1863.

RB Martin signed a document which was laid under the foundation stone of the Cathedral.

It is noted in the crypt of St Paul's Anglican Cathedral Dunedin, that:

R. B. Martin
Was a member of the first session of the first Synod held in Dunedin April 1869, presided over by Bishop Harper of Christchurch, from then until 1872. He was also Churchwarden of St. Pauls and vestryman for several years from 1862 onwards. Died 23rd March 1902, aged 84 years.

Messrs A. C. Strode, St. John Branigan, and R. B. Martin, were the first Trustees of the Otago  Benevolent Institution in  1862. Mr. Strode gave 17 years' service to the Institution as member of Committee, Vice-President, President, and Trustee; Mr. Martin gave 20 years; and Mr. A. Rennie, the last President under the original system, also 20 years.

 RICHARD was a Ross Creek Company (waterworks) member in Ross Creek, Dunedin, 1864.

He made a will in Dunedin in1864.

RICHARD was a defendant in a court case Princes St. Dunedin, August 1864 in the assault of the editor of the "The Saturday Review", Mr McComb, outside the Princess Theatre in Dunedin.  RB Martin was cleared on the defense that he had acted to defend his good name against a libelous statement in the The Saturday Review in an article entitled "School for Scandal". The article alleged that St Paul's vicarage; R B Martin being a leading member of that synod, was the headquarters of a great deal of gossip and scandal. Civil action, McCombe v. R. B. Martin, for assault in Princess Theatre because of libel in Saturday Review. Claim, �1000. Special jury gave damages one farthing.

RICHARD was permanent chairman of The Dock Trust, Port Chalmers from 1865. The Dock Trust  was founded by the Otago Dock Trust Ordinance of 1865.  The Dock Trust or Board which owed its birth to the Ordinance was a somewhat incongruous body representing diverse interests presided over by the permanent chairman R B. Martin (p68 Mclintock"At long last (p73) therefore the Dock Trust entered into formal possession (of the graving dock) on January 11 1872 after an exchange of chilling civilities between R. B. Martin and T. Connor."

RICHARD traveled to Hokitika on September 16th 1865.

At 47 years of age RICHARD became the father of ALEXANDER CARRICK Martin in Dunedin, on 10 December 1865.

RICHARD became a Justice of the Peace on July 18th 1868. RB Martin was the foreman on the jury on August 27th 1866 which exonerated a Dunedin Prison warden, Thomas MacNamara, who shot dead an escaped prisoner, one Thomas Langham.

Richard's occupation was "'Registered Wine & Spirit Merchant'' in Dunedin, in High Street, 1868.

Letter to Lucy Marshall 17 July 1973 from the City of Dunedin.

“A brief entry in the Daily Telegraph (March 18, 1863, page 3) a local newspaper of the period, mentions the firm of R.B. Martin and Co. “Amongst the most elegant of private buildings at present being erected are the stores of Messrs R.B. Martin and Co. in High Street. Their frontage is 60 feet, depth 70 and height 20. Material; Look-out Point stone; Order of architecture; an inclination to the Italian. This building (no longer standing) was built at 60 High Street, just up from the corner of what was then Manse Street, the then covered way which is now Broadway. The site is now the upstairs carpark of the The Warehouse.

The Otago Witness of August 16th 1862 lists; R B Martin & Co., agent for fire insurances.

At 52 years of age RICHARD became the father of HENRY (Harry) Ernest Martin in Dunedin. 1868. Harry died in Melbourne in 1934 and never married.

Advertisement for  RB Martin & Co.

RICHARD became the father of HENRY ERNEST Martin in Dunedin in 1869.

At 52 years of age RICHARD became the father of HERBERT PERCY Martin in Dunedin, 20 JUNE 1870.

Richard Bowden Martin and Alexander Carrick trading as co-partners in the company RB Martin and Co. were adjudged bankrupt on 30th April 1870 in the Supreme Court, Dunedin.

Whilst selling large amounts of liquor (as per the ad in the link above), RB Martin was also on the committee of the Otago Bible Society.


RICHARD was a member of the Otago Benevolent Institution board around 1877, and later Chair of the Board. The OBI later became Dunedin Hospital.

Richard's occupation between 1890 and 1895, was as ''Government valuator and auctioneer and merchant''

He resided at "Bellevue", Michie St, Roslyn, Kilgour Ward, Dunedin between 1861 and 1895.

From: Early Dunedin: Historical data

Mr George Ross purchased an area of land on the hill, one portion of which he named Belleknowes and the other portion Bellevue after two well-known place names in his native town of Inverkeithing, in Scotland. ...The late R.B. Martin built a house on the Bellevue property and named it ''Bellevue''. Bellevue Street bears the name originally given to this locality. One of the early photographs received from Edinburgh has been identified as the old homestead which stood where the Wakari Sanitorium (now Wakari Hospital) is today.

Helen Edwards (researcher) notes that Section 88 Block 6,Town District was leased by the Presbyterian ChurchTrustees to Archibald Anderson on 11 November 1858 for 14 years at 5 pounds per annum. Archibald subleased it to RB Martin on the 7th November 1859. RB Martin's lease was renewed for 21 years from 11November 1872 at 25 pounds per annum payable half-yearly. This was re-assessed at fifteen pounds per annum in 1890. RB Martin's last rent payment was on 3rd March 1893, with the final page of the rent book showing RB Martin in arrears. The rent book notes "bad debt". The leased property was bounded to the west by Highgate; to the east by the Dunedin Town Belt ; to the north by James Kilgour's farm, and to the south by land originally allotted to George Ross and James Kilgour.

Paul Hayward notes in "Still More Intrigiung Dunedin Street Walks-Book 5 (2002 (p 41), Stop outside No.17, disregarding the old looking but recent,stone shed. Many will still recall the very controversial demolition at 7 am on 27th May 1976 of Belle Vue here.

That 2 storied dark red, wooden house with steeply pitched roof was the first in Bellknowes. Most of it dated from the mid 1850s, but part of it was the original 1850 cottage.

That cottage was built by the first landowner here, Archibald Anderson (1818-1910). He originally settled in Wellington in 1840 before shipping his 500 sheep and 30 cows south to Dunedin in 1845, grazing them on the Peninsula and then here. In 1855 he moved to a farm at Stirling ( South Otago) where his descendants still farm. The bulk of his land here he sold to "Kilgour and Ross" but continued to lease BelleVue and the surrounding 110 acre farm until 1894, when it was subdivided and sold.

The original cottage built by Archibald Anderson was  redesigned  and rebuilt in  predominantly  baltic pine by the renowned and much maligned Dunedin architect Robert Lawson in 1867. (Building tenders were called for a villa for RB Martin Esq. in January 1867 by Robert Lawson). The house was sadly demolished in controversial circumstances on 28th May 1976, and was then described as the "oldest house in Dunedin".

17 Bellevue StreetEntrance to the property was via Michie Street.

Excerpts from the deed of lease between Archibald Anderson and Richard Bowden Martin, 7 November 1859: (courtesy of Helen Edwards, researcher)

This deed made 7 November 1859 between Archibald Anderson of Bellevue near the town of Dunedin of the one part and Richard Bowden Martin of the said town of Dunedin merchant of the other part witnesseth that the said Archibald Anderson doth hereby demise unto the said Richard Bowden Martin … all that piece or parcel of land being section number “88” block 6 in the Town District (suburban) … ten acres … together with all rights, privileges… To Hold the said premises unto the said Richard Bowden Martin…for 7 years from second day of this present month of November…yearly rent of five pounds…payable…to the said Archibald Anderson… Richard Bowden Martin shall leave upon the said piece of land all such buildings and fixtures as shall be erected thereupon…

Otago Daily Times 2 Dec 1854
TO BE LET FOR THREE YEARS, The House and Grounds of Belle Vue, (being about ¼ [?] of an hour's walk from town.) The Grounds contain 120 acres, up- wards of 40 acres being enclosed, and 33 acres in crop. The Dwelling-House contains Six Rooms and Kitchen. Within 20 yards of the house there is a never-failing stream of good water a Brick-built Barn and Outhouse Stockyard and also a Stone-built House, 20 by 14 feet. The grounds are in first-rate order. The incoming tenant can have the crops, farming implements, and three Bullocks broken in, harness, &c, at a valuation. For particulars apply on the property, or to J. MACANDREW & Co.

Otago Daily Times 4 Feb 1860
HOUSE AND LAND TO LET. To let that very Desirable Property at Bellknowes, late in the occupation of Mr. George Ross, consisting of that commodious Stone House, with Sitting-room, Drawing-room, and Five Bedrooms, with Kitchen and Outbuildings. Also, 65 Acres of Land, securely Fenced with stone dikes 2.1 Acres now under Oats, and the remainder laid down in Grass. Note.— Comment as to the position and advantages of this Property is unnecessary, its situation so near Town makes it suitable for the residence of a respectable Family or as a Dairy Farm. For further particulars apply to James Kilgour, or Smith & Marshall.

11 May 1864: Otago Witness
FOR SALE, BY PRIVATE BARGAIN:— That beautifully situated and most valuable Estate, the property of A. Anderson, Esq., Presently tenanted by R. B. Martin, Esq., And well known as BELLEVUE ESTATE. The property comprises over. 100 acres, all fenced and partly cultivated—immediately adjoins the Town Belt and the township of Roslyn There is a comfortable and commodious house, excellent garden, and all the necessary outhouses for profitably carrying on the work of a suburban farm. For full particulars apply to GILLIES and STREET, land and Estate Agents.

Excerpts from the deed of lease to Richard Bowden Martin, 21 November 1872: (courtesy of Helen Edwards, researcher)

This deed made the 21st day of November 1872 between The Reverend Donald McNaughton Stuart of Dunedin… [and others] Esquires Trustees under the Presbyterian Church of Otago Lands Act 1866..of the one part and Richard Bowden Martin of Dunedin aforesaid Merchant (…the lessee) of the other…10 acres three roods and 31 poles being section 88 of Block VI…term of 21 years from 12 November 1872…£25 by 2 equal half yearly payments…

Otago Daily Times 5 Oct 1894

FREE HOLD SITES, BELLEVUE, A New Township between Roslyn and Belleknowes, within easy distance of Roslyn Tram, Will be offered for sale by auction, on above date, in the Rooms of the undersigned, at upset prices and on such terms as must command competition. Upset Prices, from £55. Terms: Ten per cent, deposit; balance 10 half-yearly instalments, with interest at 5 per cent, per annum. Where houses are to be built purchase money can remain for five years at 5 per cent. One site contains nearly l-£ acres, with dwelling house and old plantations—a beautiful site for residence, and will be sold cheap. Plans and farther particulars on application at offices of the Auctioneers, Rattray street.

Richard Bowden Martin later resided in Hawthorn Avenue, Mornington, Dunedin in 1895, and in 1898 lived on the corner of Maitland & Manor Place, Dunedin.

R.B. Martin also owned property in Oamaru.

DEATH OF RB MARTIN March 23 1902

Word has been received of the death of Mr. R. B. Martin, aged eighty four, at the residence of his brother- in-law, Mr. A Carrick, representative of the National Insurance Company at Christchurch. The deceased gentleman was Canadian by birth, and was for some years engaged in Manchester in the soft goods trade. He came out to Melbourne representing a soft goods house, and about 1860 he arrived in Dunedin, and entered into business with Mr. A Carrick as a merchant.  The firm, which was known as R. B. Martin & Co, carried out business in a large way.  Mr. Martin was at the same time agent for one of the Tasmanian Company’s steamers- the City of Hobart - which brought a large number of diggers here. For some years he had vessels running between Valparaiso and here with flour and also to Fiji. He further took a very active part in sending vessels to the West Coast during the rush, and for some time he had a store at Hokitika. He gave up business in 18'' and afterwards entered the employ of the Provincial Government as auctioneer of Crown lands, also acting as Government valuer until his health broke down eight or nine years ago, when he left Roslyn, where he had resided for the most of his time, and went to live with his brother-in-law in Christchurch. The late Mr. Martin was one of the promoters of the old Waterworks Company, and took a prominent part in connection with the Exhibition of 1864. He was chairman of the Dock Trust, which built the present dock at Port Chalmers, also chairman of the Benevolent Institution. He was a most benevolent man and always ready to assist those in need of help.  He further spent a good deal of his time in matters connected with the Anglican Church. His wife predeceased him some years ago. One of his surviving daughters is the widow of the late Mr. Henry Rose.

(From WHS Roberts: Newspaper cuttings, Obituaries }

Richard B Martin, died of "heart disease" on the 23rd March and was buried in Linwood Cemetery, Christchurch, Block No. 22 Lot No. 84 on 25 March 1902 aged 84.

Isabella Martin was buried in Linwood Cemetery, Christchurch, Block No.22, Lot No. 84 on 2nd January 1907 aged 72.

Alexander Carrick was buried in Linwood Cemetery, Christchurch, Block No.22, Lot No. 84 on 7th December 1911.

Richard Bowden Martin and ISABELLA Carrick had the following family:

ARTHUR EDWARD Martin, ARTHUR's occupation was 'clerk'  in 1888. and accountant in 1895. He was also noted as a farmer in Palmerston North. Arthur married Harriet Heppell, and was the father of Margaret who married Edgar Neve, and later lived in New Plymouth. (son Geoffrey).

Obituary 'Evening Star ' (Dunedin) 30th December 1930

Mr Arthur Edward Martin died at Richmond, Nelson, last night, after a three days' illness that necessitated a surgical operation. The family to which he belonged has a close connection with Dunedin; He was the fourth of seven sons of Mr R.B. Martin, of Bellevue, Roslyn. As a young man, Arthur was in the service of the National Bank, then of the Bank of New Zealand, and he subsequently joined the official assignee's office, serving under Mr James Ashcroft, then under Mr C. C. Graham.

Subsequently he farmed in the North Island, later had a music business in Nelson, and eventually settled down to the accountancy work for which he was originally trained. Arthur had an exceptionally good tenor voice, and in his young days was a leading soloist in St John's Church Choir, often appearing at concerts for community causes. A song that he made a speciality of, often asked for, was "Little Robin, Tell Kitty I'm Coming". He was also one of the Martin quartet, the brothers with whom he was thus associated being Percy, Harry and Carrick. The services of that quartet were frequently given in public, in connection with the campaign for the founding of the Rachel Reynolds Kindergarten and other objects. Mrs Arthur Martin survives her husband, and Miss Margaret Martin is making herself known as an inheritress of the family's singing ability.

WILLIAM CARRICK Martin was born in Dunedin in 1857.  He was a student in Dunedin. 1869. School: Otago Boys' High School. 1869-1872. WILLIAM's occupation was clerk in 1888. Conflicting evidence states that he died in Melbourne, 1913 or 1938.

ALFRED Bowden Martin was born 1854. He was a student in Dunedin at Otago Boys High School between 1865- 1870. ALFRED died 25th Dec 1885 in the Tweed River NSW; an accidental drowning, at 31 years of age.

RICHARD BOWDEN Martin (the second) was born 5 March 1859.

EDITH GRACE Martin was born Dunedin on 20th May 1862. She was a student in Dunedin from April 1873 at Otago Girls High School. She married HENRY Rose in Dunedin. 13 SEP 1883 in the Church of St John, Roslyn, DUNEDIN. They had 5 children. Henry Rose died at his house "Repton" at Carisbrook, Dunedin on 9th June 1895. The "Rose" grandstand at Carisbrook is named after him. Henry and Grace had 5 girls, Dorothy, Natalie, Mabel, Yetta and Erica. Grace died in Christchurch but was buried in Dunedin 's Southern Cemetery-next to her husband, and along with Alexander Carrick Martin. Block V, Allotment 28A.

Yetta Grace Rose was born on 20 July 1893 (Birth Registration number 1893/14524). Yetta married Henry Romer Ulrich in Merivale, Christchurch on the 18 July 1917 just before he headed off to WW1. Yetta's engagement was announced in the Timaru "Evening Post" on 4 Aug 1915 "The engagement is announced of Miss Yetta Rose, fourth daughter of Mrs. H. Rose, of Merivale, Christchurch, to Mr Raymer Ulrich, of Timaru.". They were married 18th July 1917 on Henry's final leave. (Marriage registration number 1917/4245). The marriage was announced in the Evening Post 20th July 1917. “The marriage was celebrated at Christchurch on Saturday of Miss Yetta Rose, of Christchurch, and Lieut. G. Ulrich, of Timaru. Archdecon Gossett, assisted by Rev. P. B. Haggitt performed the ceremony. Mr and Mrs Ulrich will reside in Featherston until the Lieutenant leaves for the front." When the war ended, Henry was sent to Germany in the army of occupation. When Henry returned home to New Zealand at the end of 1919, Yetta did not want to continue with their marriage. Yetta was the sister in law of O.T.J. Alpers.

Henry Ulrich was cremated in Christchurch as there was no crematorium in Timaru at that time. At the service there was one elderly woman who the daughter of Henry did not know - she wondered if it was Yetta Rose. Yetta died in 1975. (Death registration number 1975/38818)

MARION (Minnie) Dunn Martin married Henry Howell Secretau. They lived in Waimate for a time and had two daughters; one named Gertrude Ethel Secretau. Minnie died in Christchurch.

ALEXANDER CARRICK Martin was born in Dunedin 10 December 1865. ALEXANDER died in 1894, drowned in Dunedin Harbour, at 28 years of age. He was baptised at St Pauls Cathedral (Anglican) Dunedin, 7 Feb 1868.  He was a student at Otago Boys High School, I876-1881. ALEXANDER's occupation was salesman, and auctioneer at his father's employment (RB Martin & Son) in Water Street, Dunedin in 1894.

FOUND DROWNED - Saturday 20th October 1894

About a quarter to one to-day two-wharf laborers named Alexander Annan and William Caldwell, found the body of a young man floating in the water near the steps of the Rattray Street wharf. The police were sent for, and when Constable McIntyre arrived at the spot he had the body removed to the Wharf Hotel, where it was later on recognised as that of Alexander Carrick Martin, son of Mr R.B. Martin of Mornington. The deceased, who with his father carried on the business of agent and valuator in the Colonial Bank Building in Water Street, left his home last night at 8 o'clock for his office to do some work. He said he would return at 10 o'clock, but he did not do so, and the family heard no more of him until this afternoon when the sad news of his death was conveyed to them. When the body was found it was face downwards in the water and was fully dressed, excepting a hat. A bottle labelled "Poison" was found a few yards away. The deceased was twenty-seven years of age. An inquest will probably be held on the body on Monday.

- Dunedin October 20
Alexander Carrick was buried in Dunedin 's Southern Cemetery-Block V, Allotment 28A (8X6). Purchased by his father October 22nd 1894.

HENRY ERNEST Martin was born in Dunedin in 1868. He was baptized in St Pauls Cathedral, Dunedin on 24 November 1869. He was a student in Dunedin, enrolled in 1877 at George Street Normal (Primary) School. Henry's occupation: New Zealand Press Agency. HENRY'S occupation was Commercial Agent, 1895. Conflicting evidence states that he died in Melbourne in 1934 and never married.

Herbert PERCY Martin was born in Dunedin 20 JUNE 1870. Herbert's occupation was 'mostly grain and seed merchant'.       He was a primary school student in Dunedin in 1877 at George Street Normal School. HERBERT'S occupation in 1895 was salesman. .Percy married Mary Eileen McNeil (born 15th February 1872) in 1899 at Balclutha. He died in Dunedin on 10 January 1940 aged 69 and was buried in the Southern Cemetary. At the time of his death Percy lived at 13 Garfield Avenue, Roslyn, DUNEDIN. Mary died 20th December 1943 in Dunedin. Mary and Percy were both buried in Dunedin 's Southern Cemetery-Block V, Allotment 28A. Percy and Mary were the parents of Minnie May, Jessie Isabel, and Eileen Mary who married a Mr Henessy and later lived at Lake Rotoma.

Obituary Mr P.H. Martin (12th January 1940)

Mr Percy Herbert Martin, whose death occurred suddenly on Wednesday, was the youngest son of R.B. Martin, who in his day was one of the most prominent men in the province. Mr P.H. Martin was born in 1870 and educated at the Otago Boys' High School. He first went into business with Messrs. Reid, McLean and Co. stock and station agents, and subsequently with Mr James Fotheringham, a seed and grain merchant. After Mr Fotheringham's retirement Mr Martin became town clerk at Clinton, where he also ran the local agency for Messrs Stronach, Morris and Co. Ltd. On his return to town he helped to found the business of Messrs Martin, Steven and Co. He retired about nine years ago.

In his youth Mr Martin was well known as a prominent member of the yachting fraternity, and he was also one of the early members of the Pirates Football Club. He took an active part in musical matters, and he was a prominent member of the first choir at St John's Roslyn of which church he was in his latter years a very active member. The only other surviving member of Mr R.B. Martin's family is his sister, Mrs Bloxham of Wairoa.

Mr Martin is survived by his wife and three daughters; Mrs Eric Miller (Dunedin), Mrs M.J. Lewis (Geraldine) and Mrs J.H. Hennessy (Stratford).

ISABELLE MAY Martin was born in 1872. Isabelle lived for a time with her uncle Alexander (Sandy) Carrick in Park Terrace, Christchurch after the death of his wife Bella. She was a member of the Ladies Choral Society in Christchurch. About 1900 they toured Canada, the Continent and Scotland visiting relatives. After the death of her beloved uncle, Isabelle married Andrew Roby Bloxam (his second marriage) in 1905 in Christchurch . Isabelle and Andrew had a son and daughter, Andrew Carrick Bloxam, and Barbara May Bloxam born 1910. In 1913 the Bloxams visited the UK with their 2 children but returned to NZ when WW1 broke out. Isabelle was always interested in Anglican Church affairs, and joined the Red Cross Society, was a member of the Plunket Society Executive Committee and the Karitane House Committee. She was also a member of the Navy League and Victoria League. Andrew died in 1923 of influenza, and Isabelle then sold their house at 116 Merivale Lane in Christchurch for a house at 63 Heston Road in Merivale. Isabelle died on 24th July 1952 in Masterton, where she had lived with her daughter Barbara May Berney, for some years.

MARTIN Third Generation

RICHARD Bowden Martin (the second) was born 5 March 1859 at Blythswood Place, Church Hill, Dunedin

Annie and RB Martin the second

Richard was baptized in St Pauls Anglican Cathedral, Dunedin . 3 April 1859. He was a student at Otago Boys High School from 1869-1872. RICHARDs occupation was "Surveyor'' on NZ Railways in Otaki, 1894 -1895. He is believed to have surveyed the Main Trunk Line through the Manawatu. RICHARD died in 1938 at Houghton Bay, Wellington, aged 79 . He was described (Henry Rolston) as a "fairly tall, strong, well built man".

He 'married twice. He married ANN Constance Croucher on the 20th October 1890. Marriage Certificate No. 74 . The marriage was celebrated at the Registrar's office Wellington. Richard Bowden Martin was 31 years old. Annie Croucher was aged 20. The profession of the bridegroom was sheepfarmer. The condition of bridegroom was bachelor, and the bride; spinster. Birthplace of bridegroom: Dunedin. Birthplace of bride: Wellington. Usual residence: both at Wellington. Father's names: Richard Martin , auctioneer. Elijah Hayes Croucher, master mariner. Mother's names: Isabella Martin nee Carrick. Eliza Croucher nee Sedcole .

Elijah was a bigamist, marrying firstly Emily Anne Croucher (nee Cauty), sister of Elijah's business partner (James Thomas Cauty) when she was 18 , and then latterly his dead partner's wife Eliza Cauty (nee Sedcole). The Supreme Court dissolved the first marriage on November 10th 1869 inWellington. Eliza and Elijah were married in Christchurch and had three children. Elijah was baptised on 9th September 1832 in Wateringbury and died 12th January 1873, lost overboard from the schooner "Glimpse" off the Wairarapa coast, and buried at Castlepoint. Elijah was the son of John Croucher (born 26th February 1804 in Milton, Kent, son of John (born circa 1775 in Kent), and Jemima Croucher (nee Hayes, baptised in Milton near Sittingbourne 16th November 1777, and died 25th June 1884 in Wellington), and Maria Martin, born 23rd March 1806 in East Malling and died 5th April 1861 in Wellington, NZ. Maria was the daughter of George and Frances Martin (nee Saunders) who were married on 21st October 1790 in Ditton, Kent.

Birth Certificate: No 422 Annie Croucher was born on the 5th September 1870 at Tinakori Road, Wellington. Father: Elijah (Edward) Hayes Croucher. Occupation: mariner. Mother: Eliza Croucher nee Sedcole. The birth was registered 17 October 1870 . Annie Martin (nee Croucher) died in 1952.

Henry Bowden Martin (he's the baby) with Mary (Crystal), RB Martin and Dick (Richard Bowden Martin)

Richard had a previous de facto 'marriage' with a Maori woman called Keri of Ngati Raukawa descent, and who later married into the Te Hiwi family. (An alternate story is that RB Martin's first wife was called Nga Wehenga (nee Ransfield) Keri and Richard lived near Ohau at "Ku Ku", a Maori settlement on the main road about one and a half miles south of Ohau Post Office in the Horowhenua. Keri and Richard had two children, Jim and Isobella Martin. Jim worked in Levin for W. Bull and Co., a wine and spirit merchant, for many years and died in Levin. Jimy married Jean Griffiths and they had two sons, Neil Ransfiedl Martin (Bill) and Wilfred. Isobella married Arthur(?) Richardson and they had one daughter and 2 sons.

While recuperating in Wellington Hospital from an illness or accident while surveying the Main Trunk Line through the Horowhenua, Richard met Ann (Annie) Constance Croucher, a nurse and subsequently married her. Richard and Annie had three children while living at Muhunoa East; Richard Bowden (Dick) Martin, Mary, who later became a schoolteacher, and John, who died aged 2 in 1892. The bridge near where John is buried was named the "Bridge of Sighs" and latterly ''Martin bridge''. Richard purchased, or compensated his first wife's family for, 400 acres of land. Richard divided the property into 4 farms of about 100 acres each and kept one farm for himself and his family. A 1904 sketch of the Muhunoa East Brethren Church, hall  and school can be found here .

A 1904 sketch  of the RB Martin homestead at  Muhunoa East can be found here . A map  of the subdivision of the land at Muhunoa East on the Whau River can be found here


Annie Croucher became Exclusive Brethren in Nelson.


Anni and Richard bought property in Houghton Bay, Wellington. "Developer R. B. Martin wanted to put up 26 houses in the area of what was then spelled Haughton Bay opposite View Road along the side of the unformed Clonmed Street. Council told him there was no money for making streets in an area with so few houses and sheds". ( Wellington-A Capital Century McGillD, 2003)

Death Certificate of Richard Bowden Martin Died 17 January 1938 aged 79 years, at his home in Queens Drive, Houghton Bay, Wellington. He lived from 1859-1938 Occupation: retired civil engineer Cause of death: anaemic, carcinoma of prostate, duration 1 year Doctor: E.' G Lynch last seen by him 13 Jan 1938 (') Father: Richard Bowden Martin Mother: Isabella Martin nee Carrick Occupation of father: Merchant Buried 19th January Karori, WELLINGTON Witnesses W.M. Wallace and J.R. Frethey Birthplace: Dunedin Lived all his life in New Zealand. Marriage at Wellington aged 31 to Ann Croucher Age of widow 57 years Ages of living issue: Male: 43, 37, 31, 29, 27, 25 Female: 45, 40, 38, 38, 32, 18

Informant: W.' A. Wilson, undertaker. Robert H Wilson,Funeral Directors. Richard Bowden Martin was buried in Karori Cemetary, Wellington.

RICHARD BOWDEN Martin and ANN (Annie) CONSTANCE Martin (nee Croucher) had the following family:

Mary Isobel MARTIN (1892-1956) (oldest child ) married Jim Crystall (1890 to 1966) in 1920. They had a daughter Janet.

RICHARD (DICK) Bowden Martin (the third), MB, ChB (NZ), November 1924; FRCSEd (Edinburgh), 1927; FRACS, 1932. He was born in 1893 in Te Horo or Wellington and educated at Otago Boys' High School. He married Jocelyn Betty Bailey in 1929 and they had two girls, Jocelyn and Ailsa (known affectionately as Jen). Jocelyn is now in Vancouver and Jen, who was blind, ran the 'Kindergarten of the Air'. and was a notable radio commentator, running a programme called "Tales with Ailsa" for children. Jen died in her mid 50's. Jen and Jocelyn were very similar in appearance. Dick Martin was a GP opening a practice in Willis Street, Wellington in 1927, specialising in gynaecology. Dick enlisted while living with his family at Te Horo and served overseas during the First World War as a medic with the rank of private in No.1 NZ Sta. Hospital, Medical Corps, (Serial. No 3/37). Richard embarked on "No 1 Stationary Hospital" on 21st May 1915 for the EWestern front, sailing in the hospital ship S.S. "Marama" before tranferring to the S S Moldavia at Suez. Richard returned home in 1919 to enter Otago Medical School in Dunedin , where he graduated as a doctor. He was registered in New Zealand as a doctor on 25 February 1925, then registered in the U.K. on 17 August 1927. He was a surgeon in Wellington from 1927 till 1940 as Honorary Visiting Surgeon, and Visiting Surgeon at Wellington Hospital from 1940 till 1951. He lived in Island Bay, Wellington, owning a double story Cape Cod house on the main road of Island Bay, which still stands. Dick died 4th April 1957 aged 62.


(Obituary in the New Zealand Medical Journal 1957: 56:464).

Dr Dick Martin

The death occurred in Wellington recently of Dr Richard B. Martin, a prominent surgeon and surgery teacher.

Dr Martin was born at Ohau in 1894. He later moved to Wellington , where he was educated at the Terrace School and Wellington College. He served in World War One with the 1st Expeditionary Force and saw service in Samoa and later in France. He was a survivor of the ill-fated Marquette. On returning from the war he studied at the University of Otago Medical School, graduating in 1924 as M.B. Ch. B.

After serving in Wellington Hospital as a house surgeon he completed his post graduate degree in surgery in Edinburgh, returning to New Zealand in 1927. He began general practice later, specialising in surgery and gynaecology.

Dr Martin was honorary assistant surgeon at Wellington Hospital for several years and was senior surgeon for some years before his retirement in 1951.

He was also examiner in surgery at Otago University for three years. He was keenly interested in medical education and was a teacher of sixth year students at the Wellington Hospital. He was also interested in post-graduate courses in which he took part also at Wellington Hospital.

Dr Martin was a fellow of both the Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh, and the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons. He is survived by his wife and two daughters.



Obituary: Dr Richard (Dick) Bowden Martin (New Zealand Medical Journal 1956:464)

We record with sorrow the death of Dr. B.. B. Martin of Wellington, a leading and greatly honoured surgeon.
He was born in 1894. the eldest son of R. B. Martin, a civil engineer. He was educated at the Terrace School and Wellington College. On the outbreak of the First World War, at the age of 19, he was in the Territorials, in the Field Ambulance, and proceeded with the Ambulance to Samoa, within a fortnight of the declaration of war. He later served in the Stationary Hospital at Port Said and was torpedoed in the “Marquette” while sailing to Salonika. In France he became a theatre orderly and was attached for a time to Mr. T. D. M. Stout’s team. He proved himself highly efficient. He qualified in medicine at Otago in 1924 and was house surgeon at Wellington Hospital in 1925 and 1926. He took the F.R.C.S.E. in 1927 and began to practice in Willis Street that year. He served the We1lington Hospital Board as an honorary surgeon from 1928-1940 and from 1940—1951 as assistant surgeon, senior surgeon and first senior surgeon. He was an honorary consultant surgeon from 1951 until his death. He took part in the teaching of the sixth year students and served a term as examiner in surgery for the University of Otago. He was made an F.R.A.C.S. in 1932.
Dr. Martin was a tremendous enthusiast. Well informed in the latest developments in surgery he imparted his knowledge with great zest and generosity. At medical meetings he usually had some pertinent observations to offer from his vast experience. A highly accomplished surgeon he achieved extraordinarily good results and was never dismayed however great the problem. He has left many admirers amongst the younger generation of surgeons.
He was a man of strong character, and a religious man, who lived up to his standards. He faced the years following an operation for an incurable condition with quiet pluck and continued at his work until almost the end. He will be remembered with great respect.
To his wife, formerly Miss Jocelyn Bailey of the Hobson Street Hospital Staff and to his two daughters, we offer our deep sympathy.
Dr. J. 0. Mercer writes
There are many Otago Medical graduates throughout New Zealand who learnt with sadness of the death of Dick Martin. He was a surgeon at Wellington Hospital for twenty-three years and during that time an large number of house surgeons and students came under his influence. To them he was friend and adviser; he taught surgery with simple directness from his own very great experience.
Dick Martin was a large man in all senses of the term; he radiated strength, sincerity and integrity. Deep religious conviction and essential friendliness made him quick to sense the difficulties and problems of those about him. His wise counsel carried authority in matters of hospital administration. In the earlier years of his surgical career, with Duncan Stout as senior, he was member of a team in which all house surgeons aspired to serve. Later, as Senior Surgeon himself he set the highest standards. Overtaken by incurable illness he carried on with a quiet selfless fortitude which was an inspiration to all those who knew about it. His example will not readily be forgotten.


John Carrick Martin was born in 1894 and died 4 weeks after his birth.

Rachael MARTIN was born 25th July 1897 and died 1990. She married Harry Roy Farquhar (born 31st January 1894 and died 1983) in 1920 , and they had four boys.

Esther Annie MARTIN was born 28th March 1899 and died 23rd December 1997. She married Rollo Spencer LAWRY (born 2nd September 1895 and died 27 August 1980) on the 21st January 1920. They had eight children, including Katherine MARTIN who married Mr Vautier, Elisabeth Martin who married Roland Bishop and Barbara MARTIN who married Mr Scott.

Hannah Carrick "Carrie" MARTIN born 1902 married Leonard Campbell Raikes in 1926 (Leonard was born 20th August 1900 and died 1973).They had 3 boys and a girl.

Lois "Loit" Grace was born 22nd February 1904 and died in 1982. Lois' occupation was Matron at Wellington Hospital. She married Arthur Leonard John Renton (1890 to 1966) in either 1949 or 1950. There were no children.

DAVID Bowden Martin was born 26th October 1906 and died in 1995. DAVID's occupation was dental surgeon in Sydney. He married Alys Williams and they had three children.

Graham Carrick Martin was born in Wellington on the 10th February 1908 and died in 1998. Graham was with the National Bank prior to World War II. He joined the Presbyterian church. He was in the territorial airforce prior to WWII and then served in the Air Department (now RNZAF Headquarters) in Wellington. He married Ethel Lang and they had three sons, Kenneth (Ken), Alistair Graham and Richard (Dick) Bowden Martin. Ethel Lang was from a very well respected family in Wellington and she was extremely well educated. She wanted to be an accountant but in those days females, even though they had been to University, were not permitted to follow this profession. She met Graham at Rongotai Aero Club where she did the Aero Club books. After the war Graham returned to the bank, retiring in the early 1970s. Graham is buried at Schnapper Rock Road, North Shore, Auckland along with his wife, who died in 2001.

Stuart Carrick Martin was born 23 July 1909 and died in 1989. He was a bank manager for the Bank of New Zealand in Henderson, Auckland for many years until his retirement . He also spent time in the BNZ in Suva, Fiji in the late 1950s and 60s. He married Ita Mary Lopdell of Putaruru in 1929. (Ita was born 7th August 1915 and died in 2007) . "Stuart married Ita without anyone knowing and gave his mother a terrible shock. She came home one day to find out Stuart had turned up with this lady and he introduced her as his fiance- and she was a Catholic!"; (not Exclusive Brethren). His mother was also furious that Stuart married Ita because she had Stuart lined up to look after and the family estate. They had no children. Stuart was not Brethren. Stuart was very close to his brother Graham, as Stuart worked in the Bank of NZ while Graham worked in the National Bank. Together they also did a lot for disaffected Exclusive Bretheren who wanted out of the Brethren.

HENRY Bowden Martin born 14th September 1912 . HENRY's occupation was accountant. He founded the Wellington-based firm of Martin, Jarvie, Underwood and Hall in 1952. He resided initially in Houghton Bay, Wellington and then settled in Te Anau Road, Roseneath, Wellington with his wife Jeannie Douglas King Jenkison. They later lived in Rotorua and then Auckland when Henry retired. Jeannie died in 1996, and Henry in 1986.

They had four children:

Jeannie Anne Martin (now Bryant, living in Australia) married to Peter Bryant with two daughters; Anna and Katie Bryant both married with sons Oscar and Alexander and Otto respectively.

Judith Lillias Martin now Knott, married to Eric Knott, Auckland.They had one son (Steve Knott) married to Andrea Batchelder (Sydney); and one daughter (Jackie Knott now Meredith) with two children; McKay and Mitchell Meredith (Auckland)

Kathryn Heather Barbara Martin, living in Washington DC and married to Sid B. Clemans. Kathryn has one daughter from her first marriage to (the late) Tunku Abdullah of Malaysia-- Tunku Soraya Abdullah (Malaysia,Chile) married to Sharif Abdul Majid, and one son, Daniel Paul Ryan (Chicago) married to Laura Blinkhorn. Laura gave birth to a baby boy on September 25, 2012. Desmond Patrick Ryan, son of Daniel Paul Ryan and Laura Marshall Blinkhorn. They live in Chicago.

Douglas James Martin (of Wellington) was married to Elizabeth Evans from London, now to Ann denBoer. Douglas had four sons with Liz: Paul (living in the UK), Andrew (married to Ella and they have a son), live in Ngaio, Ian and Evan.


Alistair Martin (Al), joined the RNZAF in 1960 as a pilot, flying Sunderlands and Orions until completing his 12 year contract in 1972, thereafter joining Air New Zealand flying DC8s, DC10s, and B747 and latterly as a simulator instructor. Alistair married Glenice Colclough and they have 2 children Jacqueline and David. Jacqueline Martin works for NZ Telecom and now lives in Wellington with husband Sean Martin (not related) and baby son, Edward Patrick Colclough Martin.

Kenneth (Ken) Martin the middle brother, obtained a PhD in Geology, is married to Beryl, and has 2 children. Ken was active in the Australian minerals industry as well as an international oil consultant until his retirement in 2003.

Margaret "Peggy" Martin was born in 1930 and married Glennie McLean of Nelson. Margaret (PEG) Martin was the youngest in family. They had a son John. They were Exclusive Brethren. Peg currently lives in Levin, and is a widow.

Dick, the youngest, graduated with an MSc in Zoology, and was active in the Australian marine zoology area, retiring in 2003 as deputy head of Commonwealth SIRO Marine Division in Hobart. Dick is married to Gill and has no children. He now lives in central New South Wales.

PHILIP CARRICK Martin was born in Wellington on the 14th November 1900 in Khandallah Onslow, when his mother Annie was 30 and his father R BMartin was 40..

PHILIP was educated at Wellington College and received a BSC degree at Victoria University. Philip emigrated to England to undertake an Electrical Engineering degree at Manchester University. Philip worked for B.T.H in Rugby; makers of large electrical machinery. PHILIP's occupation was known as Electrical Engineer,

Philip married FANNY VICTORIA Cotching at Stoke upon Trent 11th May 1922. FANNY was the daughter of PETER Cotching. She later resided at

Queenie and Philip Martin13 Rangoon St, Khandallah.Wellington. Fanny (sometimes known as Queenie) was born on the 24th February 1897. Philip worked eight years as a policeman in Portsmouth, and was also a fireman. Philip emigrated back to New Zealand on the ''SS Bendigo'' to Sydney and then by the ''Monowai'' to Wellington with his two elder sons; Tony and Alan, arriving 1st April 1935. Philip was granted the New Zealand franchise of the paint manufacturing firm of Jensen and Nicholson; importing paints from England. Then the new Labour Government introduced import restrictions, making it impossible for him to continue to remain in business. Philip then sailed for Australia, leaving the boys and Fanny in New Zealand.

Flight Lieutenant Philip Martin died 5:20 am on the 2nd December 1943 at the RAAF Hospital at Heidelberg. Victoria, Australia, (airforce number 262821) of injuries. Cause unknown. There are several stories concerning his demise. One states that he died of septicaemia contracted after an ice-skating accident in Melbourne while on leave. The second states that he was shot down by the Japanese while flying Dakotas (DC3) over Papua New Guinea dropping supplies to Australian troops in the jungle. The third explanation was that he stole an RAAF plane and "spun in"(crashed), sustaining serious injuries. Philip was buried at Springvale War Cemetery, Melbourne, Victoria, grave no. 2-Q-A-10.

Queenie and Philip Martin

Royal Australian Air Force records state that "Flight Lieutenant Martin was enlisted on 12th July,1941 and posted to the School of Administration for training in the Administrative and Special Duties Branch. After completing the course, he served on the Engineering staff of No. 2 Aircraft Depot until posted to Air Force Headquarters at Melbourne on 27th July 1942, for similar duties.

Flight Lieutenant Martin was admitted to Hospital in July 1943 but died of natural causes on 2nd December 1943"- FILE 16/1/1950 W.E.A. Initials

Letter from Philip Martin to his sons Graham and Alan : 18th May 1943

A.M.I. D.A.M.

RAAF Hqtrs

Victoria Barracks, Melbourne

Dear Alan and Graham

You must be getting on towards seventeen now and mum tells me that you do a bit in the A.R.P. set up. Do the bikes still work'

I'm a staff officer here now and have to travel all over the place visiting units.

Here's one thing that will amuse you. Some little while ago I went to an out-of-doors Picture Show right away up North, and too near the Japs to be comfortable. Anyway all the troops went tramping to the Picture Paddock with a butter or banana box under one arm, their waterproof and a towel in the other. Well the show started and half way thro' we heard the rain coming. All the troops stood up, took all their clothing off, except tin hat, and wrapped clothes in waterproof. The rain tumbled in buckets full and we saw the picture show through the rain. Just as suddenly it stops, and all the troops stand up, still looking at the picture, dry themselves, re-dress and the picture goes on all the time. It was a funny sight.

You have heard the story about the sailor being three days on one wave. Well, I've been two hours in one cloud. We were in a Cat (Catalena Flying Boat) and three Zeros jumped us and we all played hide and seek in a lovely big cloud until the Zeros had to hop it for home as their petrol would be getting low.

How is Coll. going down' What form are you in'

I took a little puppy away with me for a squadron mascot, a month or two back, and I had to nurse him. Puppy was moulting and covered me with hairs and when we arrived, another officer wanted to know if I had been sleeping with a horse.

Did you know the tall story about the American who was asked how he acquired a very large set of Moose horns. He said he was walking from the store to his shack in the forest when a large moose attacked him. He had no gun, only a bottle of turps from the store and he threw this at the moose. The bottle landed and broke on the moose's hind quarters, who immediately backed into the nearest tree and scratched and scratched until his horns fell off.

Must write another letter, but you write me and tell me all about yourself.

Good luck and all the best


Letter from Philip to his youngest son Graham: 9th August 1943

Ward 3A 115 A.G.H

Heidelberg, Melbourne

9th August 1943

Dear Graham

I haven't got your letter with me; it's down in Quarters and there was little opportunity, in fact none, to sort things out before I was transported up here.

I've been here just over five weeks and it will be about another six before I can escape from this place. We had a bit of a crash and my long legs got in the way.

I busted up my legs and left wrist. Wrist is better but the other is a slow job. I'm plastered up like an Egyptian Mummy. Some few days back I promoted myself from bed to a wheel fracture chair - we call them jeeps - but the doctor backed me back into bed, because he was frightened I'd capsize and bust the plaster. My plastered legs make the jeep more heavy.

It wont be long now before I can get about as sometime this week they should be cutting the plaster off, and if bones have started to knit, walking' now will be fitted and with crutches I should be able to hobble about. Then I suppose they will transplant me to one of the convalescent hospitals up country so there's no knowing where I'll be the next 6/8 weeks.

If you are writing send letters to:

RAAG Hqters, and it will be sent on

F/Lt P Martin


RAAF Hqters, Melbourne

How is your boxing going' I suppose you are in the thick of it now, and what form will you be at Coll'

So Alan has heaps of boating. What kind of a boat has he' Is it his own or does he own it on a co-operative basis'

The fishing is no good over this way. Sharks are the most plentiful although I've had a few fish spearing evenings. Its quite good fun. As the tide is coming in you wade in up to your middle, a light in one hand and a spear in the other. After a bit of practice one gets quite a good shot. In fact the last time we went out two of us spearing speared 28 in about 3 hours. That was some time back of course as the water is not over warm now. The black boys are very good at it, they never miss and get so independent that they only have a shot at the big ones. We amateurs have a go at anything that moves.

It gets very monotonous week after week lying on the back, although I can just manage now to get over on my side, but can't stop there long. Had a bath the other night - three of the orderlies lifted me in and tied my legs up to the windows with ropes. Twas good, although I was found out and the M.O. took a stinking view of it and bashed me back to bed toute suite.

We have some pretty bad smash-ups in this Ward. A lot of chappies just come in for a few days with minor trouble (') but some have been here over a year, so I'm one of the lucky ones.

The usual crop of Ward jokes of course, and mostly weak, but its a case of do something.

One thing we have done is to organise good suppers. We have confiscated one shelf in the Kitchen Fry(') ,and we stock it.

Lunch is coming up on the carriage, so I'll leave it at this.



Excerpt from letter from Graham Martin to Paul Martin about Graham's father, Philip Carrick Martin

(May 2003)

Unfortunate as his death was, it released us three boys from his dominance where I am sure he intended us to work for him later on. He caused Tony to badly stutter for some years. I was fortunate being the youngest, as Alan had worn out Tony’s clothes handed down so I was dressed in new clothes. Also by the time Dad had beaten Tony and Alan, Mum had had enough and I was let off lightly. Dad’s affairs took years to finalize as the. Public Trust were very very slow to act, to the extent Mum and I were on the breadline for a long time.
One of Dad’s brothers gave Mum ten pound and that was all the help ever given. It gave me however the incentive to earn money to he extent I was independent through college days. Grandad H.B., I remember, swung an axe at a line on a log . He missed the line and said ‘that’s the way your father would do it’. He then had another go and hit the line and said ‘that’s the way I do it’. Like father like son, Dad would never admit a mistake and would cheat sometimes. I noticed that when Dad was among other men he stood out as a strong personality. He took me to the National Party Centre for lunch sometimes down Featherston Street.Wgtn. He also took me away from school one day to be included in a car full of men to go to see the Springboks 1936 play.Dannie Craven (Mr.Rugby was half-back and Jerry Brand full-back). We sat on wooden benches on the side-line. ....The routine of the Houghton Bay house was when I was there that at breakfast time you knelt by your chair while prayers were said. Then at the end of a 1ong table the very large Bible was opened and the occupier of that seat gave a short reading.....I think Tony is probably wrong regarding where we lived in Portsmouth. I think at St.Friars Place (Alan would know). W.W.2 saw that area disappear under German bombs; and so did our stored furniture
The Lord Mayor's Parlour

The GuildHall


Feb 2nd 1933

Dear Sirs

Mr Philip Martin has been a member of the City Police for upwards of seven years during the last four years he has been an inspector for Theatres and Cinemas.

To my knowledge he is a very steady, reliable and trustworthy man, and I can recommend him with every confidence.

Yours faithfully

W.A. Billing

Lord Mayor of Portsmouth

Transcript of conversation with  Tony Martin (son of Philip Carrick Martin)

Ann Keyes, daughter of Vice Admiral Keyes, had red hair, came out to NZ after Philip Carrick Martin.  The Martin family found out that Ann Keyes was in NZ Philip worked in the fire brigade in Portsmouth.  We lived in Martin Place, in a Coronation Street style house just around the corner, Dad (when I was about 10'') bought a small boat, put an engine in it, then bought a big boat- a wooden lifeboat from a trans-Atlantic liner.  There was an orphanage with quite big grounds at the end of street. Philip put the boat in the orphanage grounds- built a cabin on it, and put a mast and motor in it, and then towed it to the Old Portsmouth Harbour, and launched it at the 'Hard', the 'Camber' in Langstone Harbour and anchored the boat there. We used to go fishing- and take out friends. Alan and I went to St Mark's Anglican School, going down towards the dockyard. We used to stay with old grandfather Cotching at Berkhamstead. We used to go on Philip's motorbike with sidecar, the whole family, Tony on pillion, Fanny in the sidecar, Alan on mother's knee and Graham stuffed somewhere else. Connie and Alice Cotching, Fanny's sisters, used to come and stay for the summer holidays and Philip slept at the station house when they did. Philip went to Manchester University to train as an electrical engineer- probably paid to go by the Martin family' He didn't complete his degree-instead he  came back to NZ with Tony and Alan,  and left Fanny and Graham in Berkhamstead.  In NZ Philip became an electrical and paint importer -used to travel all over New Zealand. When the Labour Government introduced import controls Philip went to Sydney or Melbourne-managing a paint factory (perhaps one of the paint companies he had connections with as an importer'), then joined the air force there, took private flying lessons and became a flight lieutenant., he died of blood poisoning- in Melbourne Military Hospital. Dick Martin, Philip's elder brother, was a GP in Island Bay.

PHILIP CARRICK Martin and FANNY VICTORIA Cotching had the following family:

22        JAMES ANTONY (Tony) Martin was born 2 June 1923 at the Station House in Braunston in England

ALAN Stuart Martin was born in Northampton, England. He married JOYCE. Joyce died on 21 October 1978 of an aneurysm of the brain. Alan later married Pat. Pat was born 7th December 1926. Alan was posted overseas in January 1944 with 25 squadron and served 14 months at Guadalcanal and returned home in March 1945. He re-enlisted for J-force in Japan for 2 years and returned to New Zealand in 1948. Alan was a tailor in Auckland before retiring to the Gold Coast, Australia in1998.

Fanny and Philip became the parents of GRAHAM Martin (youngest) in Northampton, England. Graham was born 8th December 1926 and married Alison Clark 4th July 1953 at the the Khandallah Presbyterian Church. Alison was born 27th July 1930
Children by Alison and Graham:

Jeffrey George born 3rd January 1954; unmarried.
Judith Eleanor born 23rd.April 1955
Douglas Graham born 29th September 1959
Murray Lawrence born 1st December 1962

Graham divorced Alison 24th September 1969

Married Pamela Helen Kay Hogwood 8th May 1971 at the Salvation Army Citadel Wellington
Children by Kay:
Pamela Louise Martin born 1972:
Louise 10th October 1972
Graham divorced Kay 20th February 1980

Judith Eleanor Martin married David Hyslop at Old St.Pauls Cathedral, Wellington

Children of Judith and David:
John born 12th April 1985
Dierdre born 9th July 1986
Vanessa born 6th July 19991
Judith and David now divorced.

Douglas Graham Martin married Lisa Wong; who was born 13th September 1959
Children by Lisa and Douglas:
Robert born 20th November 1997
Anna born 15th April 2003

Murray Lawrence Martin married Bronwyn Sweeney 27th September 1986 at St.Teresa's Church, Karori Wellington.
Murray now divorced.
Children by Pamela and Murray:

Louise.Sophia Marie DApas 19th September 1995.

Martin Fifth Generation

JAMES (Tony) Martin was born in the Station House in Braunston, sub-district of Daventry, Northhampton, England on 2 June 1923. Tony was the eldest son of PHILIP CARRICK Martin and FANNY VICTORIA Cotching. Tony died of cancer, initially from a melanoma, in February 2002 at the Mary Potter Hospice, Christchurch, at 79 years of age.

Tony emigrated in late February 1935 from the Liverpool Docks in the S.S. Bendigo with his father and younger brother Alan,  and arrived in Wellington on April 11th 1935. Alan and Tony then stayed at the Martin residence in Houghton Bay for eight to nine months, attending the Island Bay Primary School, before moving at 50 Ellis Street, right by the Basin Reserve, until Fanny and Graham joined them from England in late 1936. They then all moved to 13 Rangoon Street, Khandallah, Wellington.

Tony married LORNA Sheppard in the Registrar's Office, Wellington on 29th January 1945 aged 21. Lorna was 30. Tony gained his architectural diploma by  correspondence and became a registered architect on 30 April 1958.  In 1955 they moved to Christchurch where Tony ultimately became a partner in the architectural firm of Griffiths, Moffat and Partners. In 1957 Tony designed and had built a house at 297 Avonhead Road, Christchurch where he lived until he died in 2002. He was a long serving chairperson of the Christchurch Beautifying Association (Inc). He appeared as an extra (the undertaker) in the movie "The Frighteners", and in the "Lord of the Rings" third movie, as part of a courtly entourage at an elfin funeral. Tony loved to dance; mainly ball room music, and won many medals for his dancing. Tony was a volunteer guide in his later years at Christchurch Cathedral, worked as a volunteer at the Bishopdale Citizens Advice Bureau, where he met Patricia with whom he had a relationship, (and dancing partner) for several years before he died.

Tony Martin and LORNA Sheppard became the parents of CAROLINE MARY Martin in Palmerston North on 25th September 1945.

Tony Martin and LORNA Sheppard became the parents of of ANTHONY PHILIP Martin in Wellington on 24th June 1950.

Tony Martin and LORNA Sheppard became the parents of Geoffrey  PAUL Martin in Wellington on 17th November 1952.


Tony and Lorna Martin (1960s?)

LORNA was born at Porirua, Palmerston North 22-25 October 1917. LORNA was the daughter of FREDERICK JOHN Sheppard and LOUISA Dickel. Louisa was born on the 9th December 1882 and died 23rd September 1942 in Palmerston North. Lorna obtained her B.A in French at Canterbury University on 8th May 1936 . She was also employed as a relieving high school teacher at Waitaki Girls' High School (1936-1938) and Hastings High School (1939) teaching English, French, History and Arithmetic . She was then employed for 2 years as second assistant in the Palmerston North Public Library from 1939 to June 1941 and then in charge of the reference section of the Library till June 1942. Lorna was librarian at Rangiruru College Girls School in Christhchurch in the 1970s. LORNA died 4 March 1988 and was buried in Avonhead Park Cemetery, plot 00649, Christchurch, at 70 years of age, of respiratory failure brought on by cancer.




Lorna Sheppard and Tony Martin 1945?


Letter from Tony to his mother on the S.S. Bendigo (aged 9 years)

9th February 1933

dear Mummy

Arrived on board at 7 o'clock; went to are(sic) cabin to see what it was like it is quite a good place. I am writing this in the lounge, the wireless is playing and Anutie(sic) is talking to one of the stewardesses. At Rugby the man walked along the platform and asked every lady he saw if she was Miss Cotching and at last he found her in looking out of the window I barked some skin of my knee. I had a boiled egg cup of tea and some custard. We had boat drill at 8 oçlock we were shown how to use are life belts and told what to do in case of any emercangy(sic) the boat does not leave at 7 o'clock. I do not know what time we do sail, the wireless is playing Ba ba black sheep, the lady we saw is going as far as Australia. Daddy met us at the station he caught site of us directly we steped out of the train. We have been over part of the ship already. I cannot think of much more to say and I scraped together as much news as I can get tell Auntie Connie I will write to her as soon and will try to write to everybody else as well.

Love from,Tony

Dear Mummy

I am writing this from Freemantle the letter that is in front of this should have been posted from the port before Colombo. I do not no what port that is and I cannot guess so I will leave it for you to find out. Lets get down to business. I went ashore at Colombo and had a ride in a rickshaw. Daddy bought some pineapples and coconuts. We should have been in Freemantle today but rough weather has delayed us. It has lasted for two days. We have to unload some cargo at Freemantle and I have been helping the sailors get everything ready and have got very dirty. We expect to arrive in Freemantle 5am tomorrow (Tuesday) It is getting colder know we have crossed the line we had no ceremony (sic)as we crossed it at 2am. I have had a bad foot but it is quite well now thank you.


Love from Tony

CAROLINE MARY Martin was born Wellington on the 25 September 1945. She married twice. Caroline was educated at Christchurch Girls' High School and gained a Diploma of Fine Arts at Ilam, Christchurch.

At 19 years of age Caroline gave birth to David Andrew Harrison McMillan on 4th September 1963 at the Taumarunui Maternity Home. David was subsequently adopted.

David married Sandra Annette Ford in 1989; they have no children. David has written two children's books; 'Danger at Sandy Bay'; and 'Kokako Egg for Dinner or Not!' .

Danger at  Sandy  BayCaroline married ANTHONY (Tony) JON Simpson in Christchurch, 3 April 1965. Tony was born 23 April 1945. Tony's occupation is Writer and political advisor (Alliance)

At 23 years of age Tony became the father of JEREMY CARRICK Simpson in Willis St. Wellington, 1 August 1968. Jeremy is a chef.

At 31 years of age Tony became the father of BENEDICT HARFIELD Simpson in Willis St, Wellington, 20 September 1975. Ben is a bar manager.

(See ANTHONY JON Simpson for the continuation of this line.)

At 22 years of age CAROLINE became the mother of JEREMY CARRICK Simpson in Christchurch. 1 August 1968.

At 29 years of age CAROLINE became the mother of BENEDICT HARFIELD Simpson in Wellington, 20 September 1975.

She married ROBERT EDWARD REKI TE Tau. )in Masterton on 30 April 1994. Now separated/divorced' ROBERT was born May 1943. ROBERTs occupation, fisherman.

ANTHONY PHILIP Martin was born in Willis St., Wellington 24 June 1950. He married twice . He married JULIE MARGARET Thomas in Christchurch, 10 December 1971.  They were divorced in 1979. JULIE was born in Christchurch 20 June 1951. She married Robert Bevan in Sydney.

Philip emigrated to Sydney Australia in 1978.

Philip  married CAROL ANN Schwerdtfeger in Sydney, 15 May 1985. CAROLANN was born in the United States on 20 September 1948. CAROLANN's occupation wass self-employed wine merchant. Philip and CarolAnn were divorced in 2010. Philip's occupation is Architect.  Philip trained as an architect at Auckland University. Philip now lives with his partner Annie.

GEOFFREY PAUL Martin was born 17 November 1952 in Wellington

He married SUSAN (Sue) MARY Willoughby at their flat in Khandallah, Wellington, on 1st March 1980.

SUSAN was born at Rongotai, AUCKLAND on 20 November 1949. SUSAN is the daughter of KENNETH Willoughby and IDA MAY Shaw. . Susan was on the Inter-Island ferry Wahine when it sank in Wellington Harbour on 10th April 1968. She was a librarian for the New Zealand Air Force at the time aged 17.

SUSAN and Paul became the parents of KATE LOUISE WILLOUGHBY-MARTIN in Tauranga, 27 February 1982. Kate attended George Street Normal School, Dunedin and then Queens High School from 1995 to 1999. She was a student at Otago University Medical School, with 4th and 5th years at Otago MeKatie at Dunedin Stadiumdical School, Wellington, graduating as a Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (GP) in December 2005. Kate worked at Hastings Hospital as a medical registrar. Kate married Damien Ah Yen in Hastings on 2nd December 2006. Damien and Kate spent 2 years in Apia, Western Samoa as medical registrars at Apia Hospital before returning to Hastings New Zealand. In 2011 Kate and Damien returned to work and live in Dunedin. Kate separated from Damien in 2013 and was divorced in August 2014. Kate was a senior cardiac registrar at Dunedin Public Hospital. Kate died in Dunedin on 26th August 2014.

SUSAN and Paul became the parents of ELIZABETH JANE WILLOUGHBY-MARTIN in Bethlehem, Tauranga, 16 March 1985. Elizabeth attended Queens High School from 1998 to 2002. Elizabeth was on Rotary Student  Exchange in Germany in 2003 and completed a bachelors degree in Environmental Studies at Otago University before further study at Victoria University and completion of her Masters in Environmental Studies.

SUSAN and Paul became the parents of PHILIP SIMON WILLOUGHBY-MARTIN in Tauranga Hospital, 23 September 1986. Simon attended Otago Boys' High School from 2000 to 2003. Simon enlisted in the New Zealand Army in 2005 and trained as a quartermaster; working at Linton Army Camp before moving to Hastings. Simon de-enlisted from the NZ Army, and now lives with his partner Karen Rose in Hastings. Simon and Karen had a boy, Athrun Alexander Willoughby-Martin on 22nd June 2013 in Hastings Hospital.

Susan, Paul and their family moved from Tauranga to Dunedin in 1990. SUSAN was separated from her husband, GEOFFREY PAUL Martin in Dunedin in  March 1997 and divorced 3 years later. Susan moved to Hastings in 2005 to work for the Hawkes Bay District Health Board. In 2009, Sue worked for the Wairarapa District Health Board and then for the Capital and Coast DHB.

Paul's occupation was Community Relations Manager in the Health Funding Authority from1995 to 2000,  then Community Consultation Officer and Project Manager for the Otago District  Health Board till October 2005, and latterly with CCS Disability Action Southern region. He resided at Oakland St, Andersons Bay, Dunedin from June 2000 to February 14th 2003. Paul has performed in the chorus of several Gilbert and Sullivan productions produced by The Really Authentic Gilbert and Sullivan PerformanceTrust, Dunedin. Paul worked for CCS Disability Action in Dunedin from 2005 to 2011 as Regional Manager subsequently Operations Manager for Stopping Violence Dunedin (2012-2013) and now works for the Southern DHB. Paul lived with Anni Morris for 15 years before their separation in 2015.


First Generation

1. Heinrich Dickel was born in Hanover, Germany. Heinrich was apparently an alcoholic cabinet-maker who beat his wife. He apparently deserted from the Prussian Army and escaped to New Zealand as a sailor at the time of the Franco-Prussian war.

He married DINAH Harfield in NZ. DINAH was born in Essex, England.

HEiNRICH Dickel and DINAH Harfield had the following family:

2 i. LOUiSA Dickel . LOUiSA died in Palmerston North. She married FREDERICK JOHN Sheppard Porirua, Palmerston North, May 1907.


First Generation

1. Stuart Panting's birth date unknown. Stuart's full-time occupation is unknown, but he was an accomplished organist.

He married LOUISE (LULU) Sheppard in Palmerston North. (LOUISE (LULU) Sheppard is #58.) LOUISE was born at Porirua, Palmerston North January 1910.

LOUISE was the daughter of FREDERICK JOHN Sheppard and LOUISA Dickel.

Stuart Panting and LOUISE (LULU) Sheppard had the following family:

Peter John Stuart Panting- sculptor and artist.  Born in Palmerston North in 1940.  Died in a motorcycle accident in London on 31st July 1974. A retrospective exhibition of his work was held at Auckland Art Gallery and Christchurch in 1976.

John married Julie Barry and had two sons; Timothy Panting born 1962, and Benjamin Panting born 1964. Benjamin, like his father is a very talented artist. He was involved with the art school at the Royal Academy and was a painter and sculptor. He made life size bronze castings; one is at an Italian restaurant in London (of a waiter carrying plate of pasta, & tripping).

RICHARD (DICK) James Panting was born Porirua, Palmerston North. RICHARDs occupation is Violinist- formerly of the London Symphony Orchestra and latterly the Melbourne Symphony orchestra.

Christopher Bruce (KIT) Panting. Kit was born in Palmerston North in 1952'.  Kit 's profession is musician.

ROSE Family

First Generation

1. HENRY Rose birth date unknown.

HENRY became the father of HENRY Rose in England, in 1851

HENRY Rose and ANN Allard had the following family:

2 I. HENRY Rose was born England 1853, He resided in Caversham, Dunedin. HENRY’s occupation: accountant in Dunedin, 1883.  According to conflicting evidence, he married EDITH GRACE Martin in Dunedin, 13 September 1883


First Generation

1. WILLIAM HORDER Sheppard was born in Fordingbridge, HampshireEngland in 1830. WiLLIAM died 1874 in Hokitika- of alcoholic poisoning, at 44 years of age.

He married ELIZABETH Roberts in Geelong, 1850+. ELIZABETH was born in London. She later married EDWARD Hughes in Hokitika, 1874+.

William Sheppard wrote and published a  newspaper called The Westland Register in Hokitika, 1870+.

WILLIAM BORDER Sheppard and ELIZABETH Roberts had the following family:

1.      WILLIAM (WILLY) POYNTON Sheppard was born in eldest son 9 August 1858.WILLIAM died July 1869 of Hydatids, at 10 years of age.

2.      JAMES Horder Sheppard was born 4 May 1860. JAMES died 194'

3.      GEORGE Alexander Sheppard was born 7 October 1863.

4.      FREDERICK JOHN Sheppard (WILLIAM HORDER ) was born in Fordingbridge, HampshireEngland on 6 July 1866. FREDERICK’s occupation: was ‘FJ Sheppard ‘builder +grocer’, 1893+. He moved to Palmerston North in 1893. Frederick died on 24 March 1942 in Palmerston North, at 75 years of age.

He married LOUISA Dickel in Palmerston North, in May 1907. LOUISA was the daughter of HEINRICH Dickel and Dinah Harfield. LOUISA died in Palmerston North.

At 41 years of age FREDERICK and LOUISA became the father of ELIZABETH ANNIE Sheppard Porirua, Palmerston North, in January 1908. Betty died 10 June 1991 in Auckland. at 83 years of age. Betty gained her MA in English from Canterbury University in 1931. ELIZABETH’s occupation was Associate Professor of English at Auckland University. Betty is believed to have worked on deciphering German codes during the second world war in England. Betty wrote a book critiquing the works of Henry James.

At 43 years of age FREDERICK and LOUISA became the father of LOUISE (LULU) Catherine Sheppard, Porirua, Palmerston North, January 1910. Lulu gained her BA at Canterbury University in 1932. Lulu died May14 1985 at Palmerston North Hospital. Lulu married Stuart Panting, gifted musician (piano and organ) and who also worked for NZ Forests at Kaingaroa.

FREDERICK and LOUISA became the parents of UNA Harfield Simes (nee Sheppard) Palmerston North.

FREDERICK and LOUISA became the parents of ALLISON RUTH Sheppard Porirua, Palmerston North.

LOUISA and FREDERICK became the parents of Jean Roberts (JOAN) Sheppard , Palmerston North. Joan married Mr Ferguson (farmer).

At 51 years of age FREDERICK and LOUISA became the parents of LORNA Sheppard Porirua, Palmerston North, between and 22-25 October 1917.

At 55 years of age FREDERICK and LOUISA became the parents of FREDERICK James Sheppard Porirua, Palmerston North, 10th August 1921.

At 56 years of age FREDERICK and LOUISA became the parents of MARGARET ALTHEA (MEG) Sheppard Porirua, Palmerston North, 6th April 1923. (See FREDERICK JOHN Sheppard for the continuation of this line.)

LOUISA and FREDERICK became the parents of Frederick James Sheppard in Palmerston North on10th August 1921. Fred gained his Bachelor of Civil Engineering from Canterbury University in 1950. FREDERiCK's occupation in Auckland was Civil engineer. Fred engineered additions to Christchurch Hospital and other large building projects around New Zealand. He died in Auckland in 2000.

LOUISA and FREDERICK became the parents of MARGARET ALTHEA (MEG) Sheppard Palmerston North, 6th April 1923. Meg married Max Gernert. Max was interned on Somes Island in Wellington Harbour during the Second World War as a suspected Nazi. Peg and Max had 3 daughters and 1 boy.

LORNA Sheppard was born in Palmerston North between 22 and 25 October 1917. LORNA died on 4 March 1988 of cancer and was buried in the Avonhead Park Cemetery plot 00649 Christchurch, at 70 years of age.

She married JAMES ANTONY (Tony) Martin in Willis St, Wellington.

LORNA's occupation: Secondary school teacher at Waitaki Girl's High School Oamaru before marrying . She taught English and French. She was later a Librarian in Christchurch, Rangiruru Girl's High  School 1970+.Lorna gained her BA in English (and French?) at Canterbury University in 1936.

At 27 years of age LORNA became the mother of CAROLINE MARY Martin in Porirua, Wellington, 25 September 1945.

At 32 years of age LORNA became the mother of ANTHONY PHILIP Martin in Wellington, 24 June 19 50.

At 35 years of age LORNA became the mother of GEOFFREY PAUL Martin in Wellington, 17 November 1952.


First Generation

1. ANTHONY (Tony) JON Simpson was born on 23 April 1945.

He married CAROLINE MARY Martin in Christchurch, 3 April 1965. CAROLINE was born in Porirua, Wellington 25 September 1945. CAROLINE is the daughter of JAMES ANTONY Martin and LORNA Sheppard.

TONYs occupation is Writer and political advisor (Alliance).

ANTHONY JON Simpson and CAROLINE MARY Martin had the following family:

JEREMY CARRICK Simpson was born in Wellington 1 August 1968. JEREMY's occupation is Chef.

BENEDICT (Ben) HARFIELD Simpson was born in Wellington 20 September 1975.  BEN's occupation is Bar Manager. Ben is married to Carlotta. Ben and Carlotta had a girl, Lena Carlotta Simpson, on 13th June 2013 in Wellington.

Caroline married ROBERT EDWARD REM TE TAU in Masterton, 30 April 1994 and was later divorced.


First Generation

1. ROBERT (Bob) Taylor birth date unknown. Bob's occupation was mechanical engineer; now farmer.

He married DIANNE Taylor. DIANNE was born in Fielding 1940 . DIANNE is the daughter of KENNETH Willoughby and IDA MAY Shaw. DIANNE occupation (retired) Hastings, Registered Nurse.(worked in Intensive Care as Charge Nurse)

ROBERT Taylor and DIANNE Taylor had the following family:

JANE Frances Taylor . JANE’S occupation is biochemist in Hastings.


Second Generation

3. GEOFFREY Taylor birth date unknown.

He married CAROLINE Taylor in Hastings. CAROLINE was born in Hastings' Caroline occupation was draughtsperson

GEOFFREY's occupation is retail manager

GEOFFREY Taylor and CAROLINE Taylor have the following family:

ADAM JOSHUA Taylor was born in Havelock North 1989.

MAT Taylor was born in Havelock North 1991.


First Generation

1 KENNETH Willoughby; birth date unknown.

He married IDA MAY Shaw.

KENNETH Willoughby and IDA MAY Shaw had the following family:

ANDREW Willoughby .

TERENCE Willoughby . TERENCE died 1960in Fielding'.

Dianne Willoughby (now Taylor) was born in Fielding' 1940'.Dianne married ROBERT Taylor. (See ROBERT Taylor for the continuation of this line.)

PETER Kenneth Willoughby was born 1940'. PETER's occupation is housing surveyor in Fielding. PETER Willoughby had the following family:

TROY Willoughby was born in Fielding. TROY died in 1996 in a train accident in Fielding.

A daughter  <name> ?

SUSAN MARY Willoughby was born in Fielding 20 November 1949. She married Paul Martin.

Paul MARTIN family

Geoffrey Paul Martin was born in Wellington on 17 November 1952. Paul moved with his brother and sister and mother and father to Christchurch in 1956, where his father become employed by Griffitths Moffat and Partners, architects. Initially the Martin family rented a house in Sumner, Chrischurch, then a flat at 17A Dyers Pass Road for several years , before Tony Martin had the house he had designed built at 311, (then latterly 297) Avonhead Road, Avonhead, backing onto a stream with large oak trees across the stream. Paul first attended Cashmere Primary School with his brother and sister, before transferring to Burnside Primary when the family moved to Avonhead Road in 1956. He then attended Cobham Intermediate and subsequently Christchurch Boys' High School. Paul attended Canterbury University between 1969 and 1970 and then completed a Diploma of Photography at Wellington Polytechnic in 1971 where he lived with his girlfriend Jane Nixon (nee Black) Alan Reade and Kim and Moira in Newtown Wellington.

Paul is the son of JAMES ANTONY Martin and LORNA Sheppard. Paul married Susan Mary WILLOUGHBY in Wellington in 1980. Sue's occupation at time of marriage was psychiatric nurse.

Paul and Sue became the parents of KATE LOUISE WILLOUGHBY-MARTIN in Tauranga. 27 February 1982.

Paul and Sue became the parents of ELIZABETH JANE WILLOUGHBY-MARTIN in Bethlehem, Tauranga, 16 March 1985.

Paul and Sue became the parents of PHILIP SIMON WILLOUGHBY-MARTIN in Tauranga Hospital. 23 September 1986.

Paul, Sue and their family moved from Tauranga to Dunedin in 1990. Paul's occupation  was Community Relations Manager in the now defunct Health Funding Authority 1995-2000. Paul acquired a BA in Sociology in 2004. Paul worked for the Otago Distict Health Board, in Planning and Funding, from April 1 2000 to November 2005. Paul then worked for CCS Disability Action in Dunedin from 2005 to 2011 as Regional Manager. He later worked for Stopping Violence Dunedin.

Paul was separated from his wife, SUSAN MARY Willoughby in Dunedin. March 1997 and divorced three years later.

Sue lived in Hastings, Hawkes Bay in January 2005, Masterton, Wairarapa in 2009 and Wellington from 2010.

Paul resided at Oakland St, Andersons Bay, Dunedin from June 2000 to February 2003. (See GEOFFREY PAUL Martin for the continuation of this line.)


Please email any additional information or corrections to Paul Martin

Thanks to Lucy Marshall and other family researchers for the additional material supplied to this site

This webpage was last amended in January 2014